Head from Red River’s Main Street in any direction and today’s four-wheel-drive adventurer has multiple options. Because this area is rich with public land, there are hundreds of miles of roads and challenging trails. Those without their own rigs can still head to the high country courtesy of local tour operators and rental companies. Guided tours are a great bet for families as skilled driver/storytellers weave history, natural history, ghost stories and other lore into their trip. Trips to abandoned cabins and gold mines – and gold panning – are often part of the experience.
The State of New Mexico requires a day use permit or registration for all ATVs/OHVs. Read New Mexico's permit policy for non-residents.
Click here for more trail information for the Questa Ranger District of Carson National Forest.
Whether you drive your own, rent or take a tour, please remember to “Tread Lightly.” In alpine environments, scars on the land take years, sometimes centuries to heal. Riders are asked to protect our natural resources by riding responsibly and practicing outdoor ethics, like those created by Tread Lightly:
• Travel only in areas open to four-wheel drive or all-terrain vehicle (ATV) use.
• Minimize wheel spin. On switchbacks, avoid roosting around the apex of the turn when climbing or brake-sliding during descent, both of which gouge the trail.
• When possible, avoid mud. In soft terrain, go easy on the gas to avoid wheel spin, which can cause rutting.
• Drive over, not around obstacles to avoid widening the trail.
• Straddle ruts, gullies, and washouts even if they are wider than your vehicle.
• Cross streams only at designated fording points, where the trail crosses the stream.
• Comply with all signs and respect barriers.
• When using a tree as an anchor, use a wide tree strap to avoid damaging the trunk of the tree.
Note resources at below for Red River businesses that can help you plan your OHV and Jeep tour.
Cowboy Evening, Horseback Rides, ATV Tours, Snowmobile Tours
1670 HWY 38 & 212 W. Main Street Red River, NM 87558
Need a 4x4? Rent a 2012-2015 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 in 2-door and 4-door for either 4 hours or 8 hours. They can seat between 4 and 6 passengers, come with full power options and an automatic transmission with off-road tires.
Cash, major credit cards & travelers checks accepted. No personal checks.
Driver must be at least 25-years in age and have full coverage on their private vehicle.
For more information and photo galleries of popular offroading adventures, please visit our website.
612 W Main St., Suite 5A PO Box 550 Red River, NM 87558
(505) 310-0451, (575) 754-1781
220 E. Main Street PO BOX 723 Red River, NM 87558
Red River Mountain Adventures, Inc. is a family friendly jeep rental service that gives our customers a chance to sightsee and explore the mountains and area surrounding Red River.
800 E Main Street PO Box 436 Red River, NM 87558
For the Ultimate Red River Adventure take a guided off-road Jeep tour through the scenic mountains of Red River.
500 E Main Street Red River, NM 87558